YOU ARE INVITED TO GOD’S KINGDOM CELEBRATION
Big Idea: After hearing the religious leaders grumble about his attitude toward sinners, Jesus tells three parables that illustrate God's extravagant love for the lost. This text teaches us it doesn't matter what we've done, or how far we've wandered, God is actively pursuing us to come back to Him.
I. ILLUSTRATION: THE PARABLE (Identify and Ethics)
1. Act One: The Lost Younger Brother
a. Wicked Rebellion v.12-16; Deut 21:17; Lev 11:7-8
b. Shameful Repentance - v.17-19
c. Shocking Reconciliation v.20-22
d. Scandalous Rejoicing – v.22-24
2. Act Two: The Lost Older Brother
a. Furious Reaction - v.25-32
II. What does this say about the Kingdom of God?
1. Jesus redefines God
a. God is always the seeker - Luke 19:10
b. God finds His joy in the salvation of lost sinner - Luke 15:10
2. Jesus redefines sin -1 John 1:8,10; Ezek. 18:23
3. Jesus redefines salvation - Rom 2:4; John 5:24; Eph. 2:8-9
III. Where is Christ in the story? - Col 1:20
1. What is one thing that stood out to you from this week’s message?
2. How did Jesus’ attitude differ from the religious leaders’?
3. What characteristics of God’s heart are being revealed here?
4. Have you ever experienced God’s pursuing you? How did He do it?
5. How did you go from being “lost” to being “found”? In other words, how did you become a Christian?
6. How can I pray for you?